Counsel, Oversight Project
Title: Counsel, Oversight Project
Reports to: Director, Oversight project
Job Summary: Counsel, Oversight Project assists both the Chief Investigator and Chief Counsel to increase oversight of the current administration and their political and corporate enablers to provide truth, facts, and transparency. Counsel is responsible for the day-to-day review and drafting for the Oversight Project team.
- Provide document review of all received information.
- Assist in the drafting of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests as well as support FOIA litigation efforts.
- Track outstanding FOIA requests and ensure that all appeals and communications are timely.
- Maintain key relationships with oversight staff on Capitol Hill.
Education: J.D. Required
Experience: 0-8 years of oversight experience, including legal internships
Communication: Excellent research, legal writing, presentation, and public speaking skills.
Technology: Legal software, MS Suite. Aptitude for learning government and public
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department’s goals and objectives.
- High level of professionalism (adaptability, maturity, integrity, accountability).
- Must be a highly organized person with the ability to maintain careful attention to detail, prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and follow through in a timely manner.
- Top-quality research, analysis, writing, and publication, with emphasis on accuracy, insightfulness, and timeliness.
- High initiative level, with some direction, but with a strong desire and demonstrated ability to assume increasing levels of responsibility.
- Ability to collaboratively work with professionals from various disciplines within the Heritage Foundation.
- Innovation: great entrepreneurial skills.
- Familiarity with the federal FOIA statute (5 U.S.C. § 522 et seq.).