Communications Manager, Media and Public Relations
TITLE: COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER, MEDIA & PUBLIC RELATIONS
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR, MEDIA & PUBLIC RELATIONS
JOB SUMMARY: The Communications Manager is responsible for all aspects of public relations for a portfolio of Heritage policy experts and campaign teams including content strategy, media relations, message development, and issue project leadership. The Communications Manager also coordinates with other communications managers to achieve successful public relations results for their portfolio.
- Serve as content chief for the Centers and campaign teams, organizing and executing communications campaigns on Heritage priorities.
- Responsible for media strategy, daily generating pitches on relevant issues through multiple platforms including print, broadcast, digital, and editorial.
- Proactively work with government relations and policy experts to identify key legislation to drive media coverage.
- Build and maintain relationships with media who cover relevant policy issues including print, television, radio, and digital.
- Book experts to discuss key policies on national broadcast media and with high-profile reporters.
- Generate social media content for Digital Productions, including videos, tweets and graphics.
- Monitor media for experts through various means and brief the Director on relevant threats.
- Maintain and share, in an easily accessed manner, media lists on relevant issues for institutional use.
- Draft news releases, web content, commentaries, and talking points.
- Work closely with senior policy staff to leverage the media to accomplish Heritage policy goals.
- Share information with other strategic communications staff working on relevant policy issues.
- Create quarterly report on previous quarter’s media progress.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience: Minimum 4-5 years of related experience
Communication: Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including demonstrated proficiency in writing and editing
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department’s goals and objectives.
- Promote policies consistent with Heritage’s priorities; speak with one voice.
- Existing contacts among print reporters and broadcast producers.
- Knowledge of daily newspaper/newswire operations and needs.
- Must be aggressive, detail-oriented and highly creative.