Title: Building Engineer
Reports to: Director, Workplace Solutions
Job Summary: The Building Engineer is responsible for the daily operation and upkeep of Heritage’s 250,000 square-foot workplace on Capitol Hill including buildings, grounds, facilities and equipment. The Building Engineer keeps equipment in working order and evaluates needs or problems involving: heating and air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, lighting, and general maintenance. The Building Engineer works to ensure that Heritage’s buildings and grounds are safe and secure; playing an important role in the execution of security and emergency procedures. This role is directly supervised by the Facility Manager.
- Open and close the buildings on a daily basis by completing checklists; perform other scheduled tasks and checklists on a recurring basis.
- Monitor all building systems and equipment; keep systems in good working order, recognize and resolve issues as needed.
- Respond to service or maintenance requests in a timely manner, including after-hours emergencies.
- Keep accurate, current records on preventative maintenance, and equipment testing in accordance with direction from management.
- Perform basic plumbing maintenance, repairs, and troubleshooting, including toilets, faucets, valves, clogged lines and equipment.
- Perform minor electrical maintenance, repairs, and troubleshooting, including lamps, ballasts, switches, and receptacles.
- Perform other minor repairs, including drywall patching, office and touch-up painting, door hardware installs, lock rekeying, art and window treatment hanging, office furniture moves, and furniture maintenance.
- Perform general maintenance as assigned and support the cleaning and upkeep of the buildings and grounds.
- Maintain the safety and security of the facilities by knowing and executing emergency and security procedures. Maintain fire suppression and fire alarm systems.
- Perform turnover procedures during intern housing vacancies three times per year.
- Maintain clean and orderly storage, and mechanical areas. Keep inventory of tools and supplies.
- Enforce building rules and performance expectations on third-party contractors. Work with building management and contractors to expedite building improvement projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma, building trade, or technical schooling preferred
Experience: 4-5 years of similar general maintenance, facilities, or general contracting experience
Computer: Basic computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Office and email
- Ability to think mechanically and solve technical problems
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and adapt with a positive attitude to changing priorities
- Strong customer service skills
- Attention to aesthetic details
- Ability to work under pressure, independently, and with all types of people
- Ability to work overtime including nights, and weekends on occasion
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the team’s goals and objectives