Data Journalist, Center for Data Analysis
Title: Data Journalist, Center for Data Analysis
Reports to: Director, Center for Data Analysis
Job Summary: The Data Journalist works with other staff by conducting research in many policy areas, with an emphasis on quantitative modeling and statistical analysis. The Data Journalist supports the Center for Data Analysis and other departments through examining research and writing short, timely analyses, telling stories through the collected data. This position is responsible for highlighting public policy problems and directing target audiences toward Heritage’s policy recommendations through written articles, graphics, other visuals, and media platforms.
- Gather, manage, and clean data sets.
- Perform basic statistical analysis and communicate results in multiple media.
- Document analyses and make them reproducible when needed.
- Write data-driven research reports, aid in presentation preparation, and provide briefing materials for senior staff when necessary.
- Work with Heritage’s graphic design team to produce publication-quality visuals.
- Work with the Communications team to publish data-driven stories and share information on podcasts, through videos, and on social media sites.
- Other special projects as assigned by the Director
Education: Bachelor’s degree in statistics, economics, journalism, or related field
Experience: 0-2 years of research and writing experience
Communication: Excellent written skills, demonstrating an ability to organize thoughts and express them succinctly
Technology: Microsoft Suite; familiarity with R, Python, or other programming language strongly preferred; familiarity with GitHub or version control software and experience with Tableau or other interactive data visualization tools preferred
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department’s goals and objectives.
- Promote policies consistent with Heritage’s priorities; speak with one voice.
- Ability to identify and produce data analysis that will drive national conversation.
- Must be able to work well as a member of a team.
- Must show initiative and ability to work independently and quickly.