Program Manager, Young Leaders Program
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Young Leaders Program
Title: Program Manager, Young Leaders Program
Reports to: Director, Young Leaders Program
JOB SUMMARY: The Young Leaders Program has responsibility for the Heritage Foundation’s Internship Program, campus and young professional outreach, and the growing alumni network of the Heritage Internship Program. The Program Manager identifies and hires talented student leaders to The Heritage Foundation Internship Program for the spring, summer and fall semesters. Develops and leads a program with a dynamic curriculum of foreign, economic, and domestic policy discussions, professional skill development workshops, and mentorship opportunities with the goal of providing top-tier training to the next generation of conservative leaders.
- Manage application and hiring process; and review and select 60+ interns per semester in consultation with individual departments and YLP Director
- Work with the personnel department and others to seamlessly on-board hired interns and conduct first-day orientation
- Train intern supervisors on YLP hiring processes, articulate internship program goals and expectations, define and support individual department and intern needs
- Maintain a productive and engaging work environment and positive experience for both staff and interns
- Coordinate and carry out The Young Leaders Program schedule of daily, weekly, and quarterly briefings and events including off-site tours; secure Heritage speakers on timely and relevant topics; manage catering, logistical and technical requests
- Foster relationships with intern program alumni, coalition partners, and Heritage donors
- Meet with and provide information to potential intern candidates
- Coordinate on-site briefings for visiting groups of students, interns, young professionals, and other young people; schedule staff to speak about the vision and mission of The Heritage Foundation and conservative principles
- Maintain and grow databases (YLP alumni, students, young professionals, professors, coalition partners)
- Attend, speak, and/or manage table at conferences on behalf of The Heritage Foundation as necessary
- Complete reports on weekly and quarterly basis; provide administrative support to the Director, including completion of product mailings and expense reports, as necessary
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: 5-7 years of experience
Computers: Must possess excellent computer, database, and new media skills
Communication: Possess strong writing skills, leadership qualities, and the ability to speak in front of audiences
- Understands and supports the Heritage mission, vision for America, True North conservative principles and the department’s goals and objectives.
- Organized and has the ability to handle a large number of projects at once.
- Able to work independently, meet deadlines, and require little supervision. Must be diplomatic and possess excellent inter-personal skills.
- Possesses an interest in and understanding of American political thought, the conservative movement and public policy.
- Alumni of the Young Leaders Program are preferred.