Senior Communications Manager, Economic and Energy Policy
Title: Senior Communications Manager, Economic and Energy Policy
Reports to: Director, Media and Public Relations
Job Summary: The Senior Communications Manager is responsible for all aspects of media and public relations, including content strategy, media relations, message development, and issue project leadership, for policy experts on economic and energy-related issues. The Senior Communications Manager coordinates with other communications managers to achieve public relations results for the portfolio.
- Serve as content chief for four centers within Domestic Policy, organizing and executing communications campaigns on Heritage priorities related to the federal budget, economic policy, energy, climate, and the environment.
- Responsible for media strategy, specifically generating pitches daily on relevant issues on multiple platforms including print, broadcast, and digital.
- Build and maintain relationships with media who cover relevant issues including print, television, radio, and digital.
- Proactively work with government relations and policy experts to identify key legislation to drive media coverage.
- Book experts to discuss key policies on national broadcast media and with high-profile reporters.
- Monitor media for experts through various means and brief the Director on relevant threats.
- Maintain and share, in an easily accessible manner, media lists on relevant issues for institutional use.
- Draft news releases, web content, and talking points for policy experts as needed.
- Work closely with Vice President of Domestic Policy in leveraging the media to accomplish policy goals.
- Share information with other Communications department staff working on relevant issues.
- Create quarterly report on previous quarter’s media progress.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Experience: 6-8 years of relevant experience
Communication: Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including demonstrated proficiency in writing and editing
Technology: Microsoft Suite
- Understand and support Heritage’s mission and vision for America, and the department’s goals and objectives.
- Promote policies consistent with Heritage’s priorities; speak with one voice.
- Existing contacts among print reporters and broadcast producers.
- Knowledge of daily newspaper operations and needs.
- Aggressive, detail-oriented and highly creative.