Director, Direct Marketing
Title: Director, Direct Marketing
Reports to: Vice President, Development
Job Summary: The Director of Direct Marketing is responsible for strategic leadership of all direct response fundraising ($25-$10,000 donations) at The Heritage Foundation. The Director establishes the overall strategy and budget for the multi-channel Direct Marketing team, focusing on maximizing lifetime value of members/donors. This includes prospecting, direct mail to the housefile, mid-level giving clubs, digital ads, and customer service. He/she will also develop innovative new programs to grow the Heritage member base.
The Director will be a key member of the Vice President of Development’s leadership team and serves as a member of Heritage management. He/she will be responsible for personnel recommendations, creating and managing budgets, presenting results to key stakeholders, and collaborating across Development to communicate with donors. He/she will also work closely with Communications on Heritage’s overall marketing funnel to convert readers to subscribers to donors.
- Lead the Direct Marketing team (~7 staff) and external partners to engage Heritage members/donors at the $25-$10,000 level. This includes prospecting, housefile, digital, tele-marketing, and mid-level programs.
- Entrepreneurially test and create new sources of members and revenue. Explore opportunities for print, radio, and TV advertisement.
- Set specific and measurable goals for Direct Marketing. Prepare, evaluate, and adjust strategy and budgets to meet and exceed goals of approximately $40 million per year.
- Work with outside agencies to develop, review, and approve fundraising packages; manage list selection; and track direct mail package results
- Oversee staff/consultants who provide customer service to members as they answer donor questions, process donations, and review comment mail. Manage internal procedures to ensure staff maintain data hygiene and pass along pertinent feedback from donors to Development leadership
- As a member of the management team, lead the departments overall planning activities, developing specific and measurable department goals that advance Heritage’s vision and mission and complement or support the goals of other departments.
- Invest in the professional development of Direct Marketing staff through effective training, mentoring, and performance evaluations. Reward and motivate staff by using bonuses and merit increases, as well as by developing promotion opportunities.
- Recommend department staffing levels and recruit qualified staff to fill approved positions. Prepare job descriptions and advertisements and handle interviews.
Experience: 8-10 years of direct marketing experience and 3-5 years of successful personnel supervisory experience
Management: Key management skills including strategic planning and goal setting, budgeting, staffing, performance counseling, mentoring, and career planning are required
Technology: Proficiency in Blackbaud or comparable CRM
Communication: An articulate advocate of Heritage’s vision and mission. Public speaking skills to present to Heritage executives. Excellent writing skills to review fundraising copy.
- Successful record of managing and motivating a team toward shared goals
- Strong detail-oriented production skills, including the ability to proof accurately
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work with databases, and analyze data
- Ability to negotiate with vendors and work effectively with consultants
- Ability to solve problems, work under pressure, think creatively, and act independently
- Sound judgement, analytical, and problem-solving skills with the ability to devise strategies from appropriate data