Title: News Editor, The Daily Signal
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief, The Daily Signal
Job Summary: The Daily Signal’s news editor serves as lead editor on news content, working with reporters and fellow editors to plan, develop, and execute high-impact enterprise reporting. This position requires writing and editing quick responses to breaking news and developing stories that define, frame, and drive debates on key policy issues. Solid news judgment, exceptional editing skills, excellent organization, strong attention to detail, and the aptitude to move quickly and multitask a must for this role.
- Oversee and manage all news content at The Daily Signal, including story assignments, editing, and day-to-day responsibilities of news reporters.
- Monitor trending news, and regularly suggest news article ideas relevant to The Daily Signal’s priorities and audience.
- Develop and cultivate a dedicated team of news reporters, stable of freelance contributors, and editors for The Daily Signal.
- Work with the team of news reporters to secure high-profile newsmaker interviews for The Daily Signal.
- Position Daily Signal news content for maximum reach on social media and search.
- Assist the Digital department with the development of graphics, videos, and other content for The Daily Signal’s social media platforms.
- Seek news ways to amplify Daily Signal news content through earned media in coordination with the Media department.
- Focus on expanding The Daily Signal’s news coverage on topics of interest to new audiences, including women, young adults, and minorities.
- Increase The Daily Signal’s coverage of state-based think tanks, conservative movement organizations, and related initiatives.
- Mentor reporters and interns and help them grow as journalists.
- Be responsive to analytics and help develop strategies to capitalizes on successes and avoid failures.
- Monitor photos chosen for Daily Signal news in conjunction with Marketing and Digital departments.
- Monitor content published on partner sites, and select articles for Daily Signal to publish.
- Provide oversight of Daily Signal as primary deputy to editor-in-chief.
- Oversee newsroom’s adherence to journalism ethics by always seeking the truth and striving for a fair and comprehensive reporting of events and issues with thoroughness, balance and honesty.
- Represent The Daily Signal at appropriate media conferences and functions.
- Maintain a strong social media following, appear on Daily Signal podcasts and media interviews.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: 5-10 years in journalism, reporting and editing news background strongly preferred
Communication: Outstanding writing, editing, and coaching skills. Knowledge of Associated Press style.
Computer: Microsoft Office and Outlook, WordPress.
- Understand and support Heritage’s mission and vision for America.
- Ability to take on multiple projects, prioritize and deliver expected quality of work.
- An ear and eye for appropriate detail and message.
- Ability to communicate effectively across organizational divisions.