Assistant Director of Portfolio Management
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Donor Relations
Title: Assistant Director of Portfolio Management
Reports to: Director, Donor Relations
Job Summary: The Assistant Director of Portfolio Management is responsible for overall leadership of prospect development functions, including, but not limited to, prospect identification, portfolio assignments and optimization, and pipeline management and analysis. Reporting to the Director, Donor Relations, he/she serves as a strategy partner to fundraisers to help them meet their goals. In partnership with the prospect research team, he/she identifies new prospects for potential assignment to portfolios, ensures fundraisers have the information they need to move assigned prospects through the cultivation cycle and contributes to executive research needs on an as needed basis.
The Assistant Director of Portfolio Management will collaborate closely with the Senior Director of Development Operations to ensure prospect development processes and reports are created, refined, and standardized to be as efficient as possible, and to measure and evaluate gifts officers’ progress toward meeting fundraising goals and performance metrics.
- Oversee a comprehensive prospect management program
- Lead prospect assignment process to achieve appropriately balanced portfolios for principal gifts through leadership annual gifts
- Manage and regularly review major and principal gift pipeline; conduct monthly pipeline management meetings to review progress towards overall fundraising goals
- Deliver real-time reports detailing the income and activity of gift officers to facilitate assessment of progress toward individual gift officer goals
- Lead and conduct quarterly individual portfolio management meetings with gift officers to ensure steady progress through the donor cycle and evaluate portfolio growth needs
- Lead pipeline building efforts through research, including a pipeline for board member recruitment with a concentration on demographic and affinity-focused priorities
- Develop and expand upon policies, procedures, and systems necessary for the identification, evaluation, and tracking of prospects including contact report and proposal recording systems
- Manage and maintain rating system and department-wide adherence to contact and proposal recording systems and deadlines
- Lead analysis in tracking and reporting on wealth screening and research results
- Conduct prospect analysis to inform proactive research activities
- Manage and regularly review pipeline and annotated gift pyramid
- Work with fundraising leadership to envision and anticipate future department needs
- At appropriate time, participate intensively in campaign planning
Experience: At least five years of experience in donor and prospect management and research, and a thorough working knowledge and understanding of best practices related to prospect research and fundraising.
Experience conceptualizing, developing, and implementing proactive prospecting methodologies to identify potential major gift donors.
Advanced analytical skills to synthesize a high volume of information from a variety of sources and perform complex analysis.
Working knowledge of current prospect research technologies and databases.
Enthusiastic about the application of analytics and use of technology, and a desire to improve efficiencies within the prospect management system.
Mastery of on-line databases such as WealthPoint, DonorSearch, iWave, and Nexis. Experience in portfolio management and analysis.
Communication: Mastery of English language and composition; an excellent communicator and collaborator with colleagues; prefers working in a team environment. An articulate advocate of Heritage’s vision and mission.
Technology: Skilled in Microsoft Office applications, as well as Blackbaud CRM or other database management software.
- Understand and support the Heritage and Heritage Action mission and vision for America, True North conservative principles and the department's goals and objectives.
- Excellent research and analytical abilities.
- Detail oriented.
- Supervisory skills for a remote/virtual team.