Title: Staff Accountant
Reports to: Director, Finance & Controller
Job Summary: The Staff Accountant is a valued member of the Finance and Accounting team that provides exceptional financial leadership and informed guidance to the Organization as a whole. The Staff Accountant is fully committed to vigorously implementing the mission, objectives, and goals of the Finance and Accounting team as well as being a catalyst for maintaining a high-intensity, high-performance culture. This position is responsible for coding and preparing journal entries for the daily activity of the Heritage Foundation and its affiliates. This includes but is not limited to daily transactions including, donor receipts, expense reimbursements, voucher entries, vendor payments, ACH processing, and petty cash disbursements.
- Responsible for general ledger maintenance, including preparing journal entries, reconciling receipts, and processing disbursements for multiple entities
- Responsible for coding, processing and routing vendor invoices and employee expense reimbursements. Maintain vendor files and secure vendor payment information.
- Responsible for processing incoming cash receipts, pledges and credit card journal entries as received from the Development department on a daily basis.
- Record revenues from alternative revenue sources and maintain accuracy of accounts receivable processes, including stock gifts and donor-restricted gifts
- Support the monthly bank reconciliation process and complete month-end reconciliations as directed.
- Provide support of ongoing accounts receivable and accounts payable functions and general ledger reclassifications.
- Assist with weekly payment processing, vendor maintenance and recurring monthly journal entries.
- Responsible for identifying and recommending areas for improvement.
- Assist with customer service support to Heritage staff, including but not limited to training on various accounting invoice, expense, and travel systems; responding to expense and invoice inquiries; and facilitating special arrangements or rush handling requests.
- Support the Vice President, Accounting & Finance and Director, Finance & Controller with various administrative duties and projects as assigned.
Education: Bachelor of Science in accounting, finance or related field required.
Experience: Minimum of 0 to 3 years of general accounting experience, preferably in the nonprofit space, and specifically 501(c)(3)s.
Microsoft Dynamics SL, Microsoft Dynamics Management Reporter, Concur Invoice & Expense experience is a plus, not required.
Communication: Excellent writing and presentation skills. Ability to receive and provide constructive criticism aimed at achieving high-performance standards.
Dedication to superior customer service to internal staff, and the ability to promote a positive, collaborative atmosphere.
- Basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Proficiency in Excel is required with an ability to create and maintain complex spreadsheets. Working knowledge of MS Office.
- A strong attention to detail and willingness to support the Finance & Accounting team in delivering high quality reporting.
- Personal and professional integrity.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks including prioritizing and organizing workflows to meet deadlines.
- Commitment to the Heritage vision and mission for America.