Major Gifts Director
TITLE: MAJOR GIFTS DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR, DONOR RELATIONS
JOB SUMMARY: The Major Gifts Director is responsible for leading and managing a team of major gift officers to build strong relationships with The Heritage Foundation (THF) and Heritage Action for America (HAFA) donors and prospects at the $10,000 to $500,000 level through cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. In partnership with the Director of Donor Relations, the Major Gifts Director is responsible for training, coaching, and supporting gift officers to enable them to move relationships forward and increase current and future revenue for THF and HAFA programs. This position also works closely with the Development leadership team to identify strategies for growing major gift revenue and facilitates the consistent use of a moves management system with staff to measure performance and accurately predict future revenue. The Major Gifts Director recommends personnel decisions, creates, and manages budgets, regularly presents to Heritage leadership, and works collaboratively around the enterprise to increase the lifetime value of major gift donors. The Major Gifts Director is also responsible for maintaining a portfolio of donors and prospects and works closely with the principal giving team to identify prospects and advance relationships toward transformational giving.
- Manage major gift officers to achieve individual and team fundraising goals.
- Design and implement strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and prospects to grow the major gifts pipeline for THF and HAFA.
- Provide leadership and strategy for the major gifts team, supporting a positive, high-performing team culture.
- Enhance the professional development of staff with effective training, mentoring, and performance management.
- Recommend department staffing levels, create job descriptions, interview candidates, hire and retain top talent.
- Ensure gift officers enter timely engagement reports, planned steps and information on donors and prospects into the Donor Relations team’s CRM.
- Collaborate with the Heritage Legacy Society to secure planned gifts and command an understanding of the vehicles associated with bequests and estate planning.
- Collaborate with Heritage Action to understand their mission, programs, and current initiatives in order to secure annual gifts.
- Oversee the Major Gift Associate program and work with the Heritage Membership team to design and implement strategies to move donors from President’s Club to Major Gifts.
- In partnership with the Director of Donor Relations, establish departmental priorities, prepare, and monitor the department revenue and expense budget, track gift officer KPIs, provide vision and direction, and lead by example to advance the team toward its objectives.
- Maintain a high-level of institutional knowledge about THF and HAFA priorities and positions in the conservative movement and identify funding opportunities to achieve those goals.
- Manage a modest portfolio of prospects with a capacity to make gifts of $100,000 or more, with a focus on prospects rated at the seven-figure level.
Education: BA/BS required; Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: At least 7 years in fundraising, planned giving, sales, or marketing, including success
in closing six and seven-figure gifts and/or grants; management experience required.
Management: Excellent management skills, including strategic planning and goal setting, budgeting,
Staffing, performance management, mentoring, and career planning.
Communication: Strong writing, presentation, and public speaking skills. An articulate advocate of
Heritage’s vision and mission.
Technology: Microsoft Suite; CRM database experience.
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, particularly its seven strategic policy priorities
- Persuasive verbal and written communication in support of key programs and projects, effectively matching interests of prospects to specific needs
- Commanding knowledge of public policy issues and the conservative movement
- Demonstrated success with moves management to raise transformational major gifts
- Proven record of fundraising leadership to help a team consistently exceed its goals
- Ability to work remotely, travel, and visit headquarters when needed or directed