Title: Production Specialist
Reports to: Director, Multimedia
Job Summary: The Heritage Foundation’s Production Specialist is responsible for video and podcast production and assists with other multimedia projects, including equipment upgrades, podcasting, livestreaming, and interactive content production. The Production Specialist ensures that video and podcast projects produced for The Heritage Foundation and its multimedia news outlet, The Daily Signal, meet editorial and branding standards and tell compelling and distinctive stories.
- Shoots and edit packages, multi-cam interviews, mini-documentaries, explainers, animations, and other Heritage Foundation and Daily Signal videos, incorporating relevant b-roll (videos, graphics, photos) and music, on a tight timeline.
- Works with content producers and Heritage Foundation scholars to conceptualize and produce new audio/video content, with an emphasis on industry trends and quality control.
- Assists in the scheduling, recording, and post production of podcast products.
- Keeps a pulse on Heritage events and current productions to repurpose and repackage them to extend the reach of Heritage and Daily Signal productions and products.
- Thinks virally and observes new trends in digital journalism, video production, and podcast creation and works to incorporate them in to existing and new products.
- Manages new equipment acquisition and maintenance for the radio and television studios.
- Thinks creatively to produce videos and podcast shows that will communicate The Daily Signal’s stories in an effective, edgy and compelling manner.
- Assists in maintaining brand standards for the video production of Heritage events.
- Provides technical assistance for livestreams.
- Provides constructive feedback and creative input to enhance the quality of video and podcast content produced by other members of Heritage team.
- Creates video and podcast content that engages outside audiences and inspires sharing across social media platforms.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a journalism or broadcast production-related major.
Experience: 2-3 years of shooting, editing, and producing videos and podcast productions for broadcast and/or posting online; in-depth knowledge of audio production and radio studios, knowledge of industry trends in video and podcast production, knowledge of the newsroom and the workings of the Hill and/or think tanks; ability to live stream events.
Communication: Excellent video editing, audio production, and writing skills, attention to detail, organized, creative, ability to condense complex information into short videos.
Technology: Adobe Audition, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, professional audio recording, field videography, studio production, and other video capture scenarios; lighting, livestreaming, and podcasting.
- Ability to work creatively and effectively in a fast-paced, collaborative media environment.
- Excellent project and asset management skills with concentration on producing quality audio/visual products on deadline.
- In-depth knowledge of radio room, TV studio, audio/visual production process, podcast and video storyboarding and pre/post-production workflow.
- Excellent news judgment and quick reaction to news developments, including a willingness to cover events across the country on short notice.
- Attention to detail, hardworking, resourceful, reliable, creative and organized with the ability to meet tight deadlines and be goal-oriented.
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, True North conservative principles, and the department’s goals and objectives.
- Visual sensibility and experience contributing to interactive and multimedia work, with creative concepts and implementation.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent grasp of political and policy news and a keen understanding of how they affect individuals.
- Ability to provide and receive creative direction and feedback.
- Embrace new digital products and innovative storytelling styles with a vision of future audience trends.
- Aptitude for thinking big, working wisely and quickly iterating.