TITLE: DEVELOPMENT COPYWRITER
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR, MEMBERSHIP
JOB SUMMARY: The Development Copywriter is responsible for writing solicitation and stewardship campaigns for the online and direct marketing membership team in a way that builds stronger relationships with core audiences and inspires donations. This position communicates Heritage’s accomplishments and mission to donor audiences in a compelling manner. The Development Copywriter is expected to use creative storytelling to generate positive net revenue and contribute to organizational success.
- Compose solicitation emails, landing pages, donation pages, and impact statements that are optimized for digital fundraising and generate revenue.
- Manage campaign approvals and digital production calendar.
- Coordinate with the Digital Marketing Manager to create fundraising strategies for members who engage with Heritage online.
- Collaborate across the Membership team and Development Division to better understand donor motivation and the best approach for communications.
- Assist the Member Services team with messaging and responses which are representative of the unified voice of The Heritage Foundation.
- Engage with team members across departments to learn about current projects and policy initiatives and grasp implications for donor base.
Education: B.A. in Communications, English, or related degree
Experience: 3+ years of fundraising writing experience; demonstrated success in copywriting
and revenue creation
Technology: Microsoft Suite
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department’s goals and objectives.
- Sophisticated grasp of English technicalities, including grammar and usage.
- Excellent copywriting skills for online fundraising and direct marketing, including the ability to quickly synthesize complex policy ideas into compelling copy.
- Highly skilled at varying and controlling nuances of tone, diction, rhythm, pace, and other stylistic features to make a piece of writing suit its purpose.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently to meet tight deadlines.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Multivariate testing experience is preferred.