Junior Web Designer, Research Projects
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Research Editors
Title: Junior Web Designer, Research Projects
Reports to: Director, Research Editors
Job Summary: The Junior Web Designer, Research Projects, assists in providing creative and technical web and data visual design services to Heritage. Create and enforce graphic standards for web and print visuals that accompany and illustrate research products and for educating directors and analysts in the research departments on the best methods of presenting research in a graphical form. Work with Heritage’s Research teams, Research Editors, Marketing, and Digital teams to produce visuals for heritage.org, print, and social media platforms. Responsible for the quality of graphics and for achieving the most effective presentation of content in Heritage products.
- Assists with the development of original, dynamic, and custom web content using Heritage research in coordination with Senior Designer and Web Developer, Digital team members, and outside web developers.
- Maintain established graphic standards and design graphical material for web-based and printed research products in accordance with Heritage brand standards.
- Work with Digital to ensure effective use of visuals on heritage.org and on social media platforms.
- Assist analysts in effective presentation of research in graphical form.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with experience in data-based design. Training in statistics, economics, or journalism preferred.
Experience: Prior experience (1) in web development, journalism graphics, or equivalent experience, (2) in data analysis, and (3) experience working with CMS platforms including: Drupal and WordPress.
Communication: Competent writer with exceptional oral and digital communication skills.
Technology: Prior experience with (1) web development/design/prototyping platforms, (2) Adobe CS, and (3) the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Utilizes experience developing client-side web and graphic design solutions to creatively communicate research ideas and information.
- Is familiar with web development/design/prototyping platforms, primarily: VS Code, GitHub, Adobe XD, Sketch, and Invision.
- Has experience with Adobe CS products, including Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, XD, and Acrobat, and with Microsoft Excel and Word. Experience with Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro is a plus.
- Possesses a solid understanding and demonstration of user-centered design principles and stays ahead of the curve on design and digital UX and UI trends.
- Performs top-quality, timely work, and exhibits an exceptional level of attention to detail.
- Proactively pursues opportunities to improve projects at every stage.
- Conceives and implements automated systems to speed workflow while mitigating risks due to human error.
- Works effectively with team members from discovery to delivery and can demonstrate cross-functional collaboration experience.
- Has exceptional verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to work creatively and communicate effectively with professionals with varying degrees of experience with web and graphic design.