Assistant Editor, The Daily Signal (Part-time)
Title: Assistant Editor, The Daily Signal (Part-Time)
Reports to: Director and Editor-in-Chief, The Daily Signal
Job Summary: The assistant copy editor will edit and proofread content for The Daily Signal, the multimedia news organization of The Heritage Foundation. This position will play a key role in ensuring Daily Signal content across platforms is compelling, well-written, follows Associated Press style, and adheres to our principles and standards guide.
- Edits and proofreads content for The Daily Signal, including articles, videos and podcast scripts. Editing includes ensuring articles follow Associated Press style, as well as fact checking, rewriting, and reshaping article structure and lede if necessary.
- Writes headlines and selects art designed to optimize traffic
- Acquires familiarity with Heritage Foundation’s policy research and positions.
- Ensures SEO and social media standards are met, and final copy adheres to those standards.
- Understands The Daily Signal’s principles and standards and ensures final copy adheres to our standards.
- Assists with proofreading and writing descriptions for daily email newsletters, as well as sending email newsletters and reviewing tests.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: 3+ years of editing, preferably in a news environment and with experience with both news and opinion copy
Communication: Excellent editing and writing skills, attention to detail
Technology: Microsoft Office and Outlook, WordPress
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the team’s goals and objectives.
- Hard working, resourceful, creative and organized with the ability to meet tight deadlines and be results-oriented.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize them, and deliver first-rate work.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an eye for detail.
- Excellent news judgment and quick reaction to news developments. Aptitude for thinking big, working wisely and quickly iterating.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive criticism and feedback.