Title: Staff Accountant
Reports to: Director, Accounting and Controller
Job Summary: The Staff Accountant will be a valued member of the Finance and Accounting team that serves as the leading source of trusted strategic advice to The Heritage Foundation. In order to help promulgate the Foundation’s Vision and Mission, the Finance and Accounting team is responsible for providing exceptional financial leadership and informed guidance to the Organization as a whole. The Staff Accountant is fully committed to vigorously implementing the mission, objectives, and goals of the Finance and Accounting team as well as being a catalyst for maintaining a high-intensity, high-performance culture. Responsible for the management of the general ledger functions of The Heritage Foundation to include selected cash receipts and disbursements activity. Working closely with the Senior Accountant, the Staff Accountant will have direct responsibility for maintaining daily transactions including, Donor Receipts, Expense Reimbursements, Voucher Entry, Vendor Payments, ACH processing, and petty cash disbursements.
- Committed to creating a high-performance, results-driven culture. Dedicated to getting the job done and willingness to work hours required
- Overall general ledger management and maintenance, including journal entries, receipts and disbursements for multiple entities
- Code, process and route vendor invoices and employee expense reimbursements. Keep current with maintenance of vendor files and corporate card program.
- Oversee processing of incoming cash receipts, pledges and credit card journal entries as received from the Development department on a daily basis
- Record revenues from alternative revenue sources and maintain accuracy of accounts receivable processes, including stock gifts and donor-restricted gifts
- Supports the monthly bank reconciliation process and complete month-end reconciliations
- Provide support of ongoing accounts receivable and accounts payable functions to include outsource providers and General Ledger moves
- Assist with weekly payment processing, vendor maintenance and recurring monthly journal entries
- Assist with customer service support to Heritage staff, including but not limited to: training on various accounting invoice, expense, and travel systems; responding to expense and invoice inquiries; and facilitating special arrangements or rush handling requests.
- Support the Vice President and Director with various administrative duties and projects
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field.
Experience: 1 to 3 years of related accounts payable or general accounting experience. Must possess a clear understanding of core accounting principles and can apply those principles in new and evolving situations.
Computer: Working knowledge of accounting software systems and MS Office including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, general audit routines and processes
- Proven ability to work independently while meeting deadlines, multi-tasking, and strong attention to detail
- Effective communication skills, dedication to superior customer service to internal staff, and the ability to promote a positive, collaborative atmosphere
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the team’s goals and objectives
- Trustworthy and discreet