Senior Policy Analyst for Defense Budgeting
TITLE: SENIOR POLICY ANALYST FOR DEFENSE BUDGETING
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR, CENTER FOR NATIONAL DEFENSE
JOB SUMMARY: The Senior Policy Analyst is responsible primarily for researching and writing in the Defense Budgeting policy field. He or she must demonstrate strong writing, leadership, and verbal skills, and have demonstrated expertise in the field and an ability to work with Congress, administrative officials, and international partners. He or she must organize and manage the foundation’s comprehensive defense budgeting research agenda, including coordination with internal stakeholders.
• Conduct policy analysis and scholarly research, particularly including quantitative comparison and analysis of budget numbers
• Research and write high quality papers, reports, book chapters, and commentary.
• Organize and lead major research programs.
• Organize events and meetings.
• Supervise an intern dedicated to defense budgeting
• Participate at public functions and conferences.
• Act as in support of the lead for the Index of Military Strength.
• Provide media commentary in expertise area.
• Participates in the public policy community.
• Effectively interact with Congressional members and staff.
• Assist in preparation of Congressional testimonies.
• Engage with foreign officials and subject matter experts.
Education: Master’s Degree or higher in related field
Experience: 8 years’ experience in public policy
Communication: Excellent, fast, and convincing writing for both research and commentary
Media: Proficient in radio and television media
• Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department’s goals and objectives.
• Knowledge level: Graduate