Conference Services Manager
Title: Conference Services Manager
Reports to: Director, Events & Programming
Job Summary: The Conference Services Manager supports all aspects of conference services operations to advance Heritage’s mission and strategic priorities. The Conference Services team is responsible for hosting over 4,500 meetings and events in-house each year. The Conference Services Manager is a source of trusted strategic advice for both internal and external partners, making decisions based on Heritage’s best interests. This position supports the leadership of the conference services team through the planning and execution of events with the highest degree of professionalism and in accordance with industry standards. This position will be directly managed by the Manager, Conference Services.
- Internal Events Team Support – Support the day-to-day internal event operations for the execution of roughly 100 events per week and maintaining the team’s operation manuals, handbooks, and record keeping. The conference services team’s primary day-to-day roles are to submit weekly food and beverage orders, accept food and equipment deliveries, set-up and breakdown events, maintain events kitchen and catering equipment, stock events kitchen and floor kitchens.
- Scheduling and Staffing – Advise on the daily staffing needs based on the number of events each week within all Heritage locations to determine if back-up assistance or temporary contracted staffing is needed. Responsible for requesting additional security presence for events as required.
- Internal Collaboration – Serve as a contact for Heritage staff members to coordinate catering details and acting as liaison between Heritage and its third-party catering vendors. It is important to provide excellent customer service; ensuring events are executed smoothly and efficiently.
- External Group Collaboration – Manage event space rentals by outside groups through initial contact, contract negotiation and execution, coordinating event details with group and other support departments, and processing billing information.
- Vendor Management – Advise on outside vendors and caterers and providing evaluations and recommendations to the Manager of Conference Services. Responsible for negotiating prices and monitoring the quality of the products and services provided by third-parties.
- Room Reservations System – Manage the room reservation software by responding to questions about events in a very timely manner, responding to all requests in the reservation queue several times per day, coordinating menu selections and approving food orders, creating and fact-checking daily elevator calendars, and overseeing any modifications to EMS.
- Team Budget & Expenses – Provide recommendations toward the annual budget for internal events, billing of food/beverages to internal partners, processing vendor invoices for supplies, and maintaining financial and administrative records.
- Industry Immersion – Participate in ongoing continuing education such as staying up to date on food safety certifications, reading trade publications, attending seminars, and consulting with other meeting professionals to keep abreast of conference services management standards and trends. Find ways to incorporate new and fresh ideas to improve overall team execution and streamline processes and procedures.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: 4 - 5 years or more of related experience in the hospitality industry, including management experience
Technology: Advanced computer skills and ability; proficient in Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Communication: Competence in clear, effective, and gracious written and verbal communication across all levels of an organization
- Organized: Ability to self-organize, multi-task, maintain strong attention to detail, and handle multiple projects while setting appropriate priorities to achieve goals
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Proactively propose and execute creative solutions to business challenges. Demonstrated history of budgeting, financial management, and financial reporting skills
- Critical thinking: Capacity to think critically and handle emergency situations, demonstrating sound judgment under pressure and accountability when working with a team
- Teamwork: Exceptional teamwork and customer service skills
- Availability: Willingness to work nights and weekends, when necessary
- Digital technology: Adept at learning various software including our room reservation and catering order system. Proficient in MS Office (Excel and Word), Outlook.
- Mission alignment: Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, conservative principles and the Events & Programming team’s goals and objectives