Vice President, Institute for Family, Community, and Opportunity
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Institute for Family, Community, and Opportunity
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
Title: Vice President, Institute for Family, Community, and Opportunity
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Job Summary: The Vice President leads the Institute for Family, Community, and Opportunity in research, publication, and other activities for the primary objective of advancing policy proposals that foster the social conditions and institutions necessary for freedom, opportunity, prosperity, and civil society to flourish. Consistent with the Heritage mission and that objective, the Vice President provides strategic guidance for the Institute and its policy work in the areas of health care, welfare, education, life, marriage, and religious liberty, with particular emphasis on achieving long-term and strategic objectives established by Heritage leadership.
- As a member of the senior management team, the Vice President of the Institute for Family, Community, and Opportunity participates in the Heritage’s overall planning activities, developing specific and measurable department goals that advance the Foundation’s vision and mission and complement, augment, or support the goals of other departments.
- Establish department priorities, prepare and monitor the department budget, provide overall direction for staff activities, and lead by example. Use department resources effectively to achieve Heritage objectives.
Public Policy/Heritage Priorities
- In support of the Heritage mission, lead the Institute’s directors and analysts’: (1) professional research, analysis, and writing for publication; (2) organization of meetings and events; and (3) representation of Heritage in many settings.
- Ensure alignment of the Institute’s personnel, resources, and activities to achieve the Institute’s primary objective of developing and advancing (1) conservative policy proposals to reform federal welfare, health care, and education programs; and (2) policy to protect innocent human life from conception to natural death; an understanding of marriage as the union of one man and one woman, and the biological reality of these two sexes; and the free exercise of religion.
- Work with others across Heritage and in other organizations, including Heritage Action for America, to achieve Heritage objectives.
- Communicate effectively with staff of Heritage, Heritage Action for America, and other organizations, the public, news media, and, as appropriate, Federal, State, local and foreign officials.
- Enhance the professional and career development of department managers and staff through effective training, mentoring, and performance evaluations. Reward and motivate managers and staff by using bonus and merit increase budgets effectively, and by developing promotion opportunities.
- Responsible for overseeing the functions, budgets, goals, and employees of all reporting departments including personnel management, compensation, and talent development.
- Recommend department staffing levels, and oversee recruitment of high-quality staff to fill approved positions.
Education: Graduate degree minimum; PhD preferred
Experience: 8 to 10 years of relevant experience
Management: Key management skills including strategic planning and goal setting, budgeting, staffing, performance counseling, mentoring, and career planning are required.
Communication: Excellent writing, presentation and strong public speaking skills. An articulate advocate of Heritage’s vision and mission.
Technology: Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, True North conservative principles, and the department’s goals and objectives.
- Professional, with high integrity, sound judgment, initiative, and discretion, and ability to lead, motivate, and work effectively with employees at all levels.
- Leads effectively top-quality research, analysis, writing, and publication, with emphasis on accuracy, insightfulness, persuasiveness, and timeliness.
- An understanding of and commitment to conservative principles is required.
- Ability to effectively interact with the rest of the management team; a team builder.