Managing Editor, The Daily Signal
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- The Daily Signal
Title: Managing Editor, The Daily Signal
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief and Director, The Daily Signal
Job Summary: This position oversees the day-to-day editorial operations of The Daily Signal, The Heritage Foundation’s news outlet. The ideal candidate will relish the chance to help develop and implement strategies that ensure The Daily Signal is regularly producing original, top-notch journalism across various platforms.
- Work with editor-in-chief to position The Daily Signal as a leading source of conservative policy analysis, commentary, and news.
- Manage day-to-day responsibilities of editors and reporters to develop more exclusive, investigative, and breaking news content.
- Oversee the creation and editing of Daily Signal content on a daily basis, including nights and occasional weekends, ensuring content is accurate, relevant, insightful, respectful of reader’s time, and follows Associated Press style. Assists with editing as needed.
- Assign news content to editors, and recommend processes to optimize productivity and organization. Serve as a mentor to other editors, helping them grow.
- Directly manage the Daily Signal’s copy editor and reporting fellow.
- Follow the news of the day and recommend content ideas to Daily Signal reporters.
- Oversee production of Daily Signal’s email newsletters, recommending content to maximize relevance and reader interest, as well as participating in long-term strategic discussions about the newsletters.
- Closely work with Daily Signal social media editor to set and enforce standards ensuring all content is optimized for social sharing and buzz.
- Develop standards for editing of multimedia content’s editorial components, and train other editors on those standards.
- Serve as a producer for The Daily Signal Podcast’s news segment, selecting stories and editing hosts’ script. Recommend newsmakers for the interview segment, and work with hosts on refining interview questions to maximize interest and potential to break news.
- Working closely with Heritage scholars, develop a robust understanding of Heritage’s policy positions and, in collaboration with commentary editor, develop creative ways to use that knowledge for The Daily Signal’s opinion content.
- Collaborate with IT team to refine The Daily Signal’s SEO strategy and ensure editors and staff are following that strategy.
- In collaboration with Media and PR department, editor-in-chief, and other Daily Signal staff, ensure content optimal for media attention is released strategically.
- Ensure Daily Signal is regularly doing A/B testing and sharing those results with team.
- Working with editor-in-chief, closely monitor traffic patterns and devise strategies to maximize The Daily Signal reach.
- Working with editors, develop The Daily Signal’s stable of freelancers.
- Coach Daily Signal editors and reporters on producing the best journalism.
- Represent The Daily Signal for media appearances (TV, radio, podcasts), and at appropriate media conferences and related functions.
- Maintain an active presence on social media to promote Daily Signal content.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: 5 or more years of journalism experience; management experience preferred
Communication: Excellent editing and writing skills, attention to detail, strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
Technology: Microsoft Office and Outlook, WordPress
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and The Daily Signal’s team’s goals and objectives.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize them, and deliver first-rate work.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an eye for detail.
- Superb organizational and interpersonal skills, with a gift for teamwork.
- Sound judgment, highly organized and detail-oriented, and work well under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Superior writing and editing skills.
- Experience working in and a strong commitment to creating a high-performance, results-driven culture.
- Commitment to getting the job done and willingness to work hours required.
- Interest in public policy, strategy, and project management execution.
- Demonstrated ability to build communications strategies from the ground up, leveraging and enhancing existing infrastructure to accomplish objectives.
- Track record of success to accomplish organizational goals.
- Ability to deliver timely and flawless results.
- Creative thinker able to market products and to conceive new products and marketing methods by using existing and acquired resources.