Title: Graphic Designer
Reports to: Director of Marketing
Job Summary: Design, layout, and produce visual solutions for print and digital products including invitations, palm cards, booklets, brochures, signage, social media graphics, and other collateral that advance organizational goals. Develop designs that are legible, aesthetically pleasing, audience appropriate, and consistent with Heritage’s visual identity in the use of typography, graphics and composition. Understand the brand identity of The Heritage Foundation and The Daily Signal—know our look and how to apply it.
- Work within framework of visual identity guidelines of both Heritage and The Daily Signal to create brand-appropriate, visually-pleasing design solutions.
- Design, layout, and production of print and digital products—invitations, palm cards, booklets, brochures, signage, social media graphics, and other design collateral that promote Heritage’s policy research and/or support organizational goals.
- Participate in discussions to focus and translate organizational needs and ensure most audience- and brand-appropriate approaches are explored for each creative project.
- Find or create appropriate art (photos, illustrations, other graphics) for design projects, heritage.org, and dailysignal.com.
- Prep files for print vendors and/or for digital dissemination. Review technical aspects of publication designs and prepare files for printers. Sign off on vendor proofs, in collaboration with Marketing.
- Maintain standards of quality, legibility, and aesthetics in all design materials.
- Performs other, related duties as required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree.
Experience: 2-4 years of experience in graphic or visual design.
In-house agency experience a plus.
Computers: Macintosh. Software Requirements: Adobe Creative Suite—InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat. Knowledge of and interest in emerging technologies and trends.
- Proficiency in design, able to clearly articulate design rationale and brand appropriateness.
- Thoughtful receiver of constructive critique; ability to objectively process feedback to effectively evolve conversations and designs.
- Highly organized and disciplined, can pace work to meet all agreed-upon deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to clearly present ideas in all stages of design process.
- Understanding of print production.
- Close attention to design aesthetics and details.
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department's goals and objectives.