Title: Director, Membership Programs
Reports to: Vice President, Development
Job Summary: The Director of Membership Programs is responsible for increasing current and future revenue for The Heritage Foundation through cross channel direct marketing programs. The Director establishes and refines the overall strategy and budget for the Membership team with a focus on increasing long-term value and significant growth. These goals are achieved by leading a team responsible for all revenue from donors giving less than $10,000 annually. This includes managing all aspects of the housefile, prospecting, President’s Club, online membership programs, and customer service systems. They will also be tasked with developing innovative new programs and products designed to increase membership.
The Director will be a key member of the Vice President of Development’s leadership team and serves as a member of management. In this role, they will be responsible for personnel recommendations, creating and managing budgets, reporting and presenting results to key stakeholders, working collaboratively with colleagues in donor communications, development operations, and donor relations to move donors up the gift pyramid. They will also work closely with Heritage’s Communications team in development the organization’s overall marketing funnel, serving as the key voice for how to convert readers and subscribers to members.
- Oversee the Membership Programs team and external marketing partners to communicate and collaborate across the organization to ensure the growth and success of the program
- Lead the overall strategy for all current and potential membership donors. This includes housefile, prospecting, President’s Club and Leader’s Club programs via mail, telemarketing, and online marketing efforts.
- Lead the creation of new revenue streams. Test innovative and creative membership concepts targeted at new audiences to grow the donor base. Explore opportunities for print, radio, and TV advertisement.
- Set specific and measurable goals for the membership programs; prepare, evaluate and adjust strategy and budgets to meet and exceed goals.
- Work with outside agencies to develop, review and approve copy, package design, and data; manage list selection; provide analysis of package results and track program results
- Oversee the management of all customer service systems, including processing of donations, membership line, membership email inbox, comment mail and thank you letters; regularly review internal and external procedures and ensure the quality of data processing and data hygiene.
- As a member of the management team, lead the departments overall planning activities, developing specific and measurable department goals that advance Heritage’s vision and mission and complement or support the goals of other departments.
- Establish department priorities, prepare and monitor the department budget, provide overall direction for staff activities, and lead by example. Use department resources effectively to achieve Heritage objectives.
- Enhance the professional and career development of department staff through effective training, mentoring, and performance evaluations. Reward and motivate staff by using bonus and merit increase budgets effectively, and by developing promotion opportunities.
- Recommend department staffing levels, recruit qualified staff to fill approved positions. Prepare job descriptions and advertisements and handle interviews.
Experience: 8-10 years of direct marketing experience and 3-5 years of successful personnel supervisory experience
Management: Key management skills including strategic planning and goal setting, budgeting, staffing, performance counseling, mentoring, and career planning are required
Computers: Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Blackbaud or comparable CRM
Technology: Ability to communicate with Heritage Members both over the phone and through the mail and email; and with individuals at all levels within and outside of Heritage. Excellent writing, presentation and public speaking skills. An articulate advocate of Heritage’s vision and mission.
- Understand and support the Heritage mission, vision for America, True North conservative principles, and the department’s goals and objectives
- Successful record of managing and motivating a team toward shared goals
- Strong detail-oriented production skills, including the ability to proof accurately
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work with databases, and analyze data
- Ability to negotiate with vendors and work effectively with consultants
- Ability to solve problems, work under pressure, think creatively, and act independently
- Sound judgement, analytical, and problem solving skills with the ability to devise strategies from appropriate data
- Excellent written and oral communication skills