Reporting Fellow, The Daily Signal (Temporary)
- Washington, DC
- The Daily Signal
- Entry Level
Title: Reporting Fellow, The Daily Signal
Reports to: Editor in Chief and Director, The Daily Signal
Job Summary: The reporting fellow will focus on breaking and covering news about national, state, and local policies for The Daily Signal, the news outlet of The Heritage Foundation. The fellow will also contribute to “The Daily Signal Podcast” and help produce content for Daily Signal social media channels. The ideal candidate will be an enterprising journalist, familiar with conservative politics and policies, who is able to work quickly, develop creative ideas for news coverage, and think innovatively about covering the news on a variety of social media platforms. This is a one-year fellowship.
- Produce news copy on deadline multiple times per week, as assigned and through own initiative, without compromising accuracy or credibility.
- Regularly identify and pitch news items and events for coverage.
- Develop familiarity with assigned beats, building relationships with key groups or individuals, and break news.
- Be a host for “The Daily Signal Podcast,” writing and recording news of the day and interviewing newsmakers.
- Develop news content specifically for social media platforms.
- Adhere to journalism ethics by always seeking the truth and striving for fair, honest and thorough reporting of events, issues, and players.
- Participate in media interviews.
- Maintain a strong social media presence, and do TV/radio/podcast media interviews.
- Represent the news organization and Heritage at appropriate media conferences and functions.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: Past journalism internships and/or college news reporting preferred
Communication: Excellent reporting and writing skills, attention to detail
Technology: Microsoft Office and Outlook, WordPress
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and The Daily Signal’s team’s goals and objectives.
- Desire to communicate policy ideas with passion and precision, strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate and work well with a team.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize them and deliver first-rate work.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an eye for detail and command of spelling and grammar.