Major Gift Officer– Texas
TITLE: Major Gift Officer- Texas
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR, DONOR RELATIONS
JOB SUMMARY: As a member of the major gift fundraising team within Development, the Major Gift Officer- Texas actively manages, nurtures, and enhances relationships with an individual portfolio of 90‒120 six-figure and above prospects to identify, qualify, cultivate, secure, and steward continued and increased support of The Heritage Foundation (THF) and Heritage Action for America (HAFA). The Major Gift Officer-Texas helps build upon Heritage’s robust culture of philanthropy by expanding the donor base and engaging high-capacity prospects in Heritage’s mission in meaningful and compelling ways.
As a key member of the Development team, the Advisor cultivates donors with the potential to commit major gifts in advance of and throughout a planned, multi-year, fundraising campaign. This position works collaboratively with volunteer leaders, fellow staff, and other Heritage partners to cultivate and solicit donors for strategic priorities.
- Actively manage and develop a pool of 90‒120 major gift prospects.
- Initiate contact with potential major gift donors and develop strategies to cultivate relationships.
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors, adhering to the highest ethical standards, demonstrating empathetic disposition and perseverance, reflecting an optimistic and positive attitude, and conveying sensitivity to the needs of donors.
- Prepare and present major gift proposals with input and assistance from leadership and/or staff partners, as appropriate.
- Understand popular planned giving vehicles and be prepared to collaborate with the Planned Giving Officer to maximize opportunities.
- Collaborate with and refer potential leads to HAFA, as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with the Development team and the rest of the organization.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Experience: 5+ years of major gift fundraising; demonstrated track record of
managing prospects, building relationships, and successfully closing gifts at
Communication: Excellent communication skills and collaborative mindset
Technology: Microsoft Office; CRM software
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department’s goals and objectives
- Highly personable; ability to understand the needs and interests of major gift donors
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Willing to travel