Title: Senior Accountant, Finance & Accounting
Reports to: Director, Finance & Controller
Job Summary: The Senior Accountant provides exceptional financial leadership and informed guidance to the Finance and Accounting team and to the whole organization. The Senior Accountant leads cross-functional and cross-departmental project teams. In addition to providing leadership within the accounting team, the Senior Accountant is expected to work collaboratively with the team and mentor junior staff. The Senior Accountant also plays a critical role in maintaining conformance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Responsible for general ledger maintenance, including preparing journal entries, reconciling receipts, and processing disbursements for multiple entities.
- Provide support to the Assistant Controller and Accounting Manager with maintaining internal controls and financial reporting in conformance with GAAP.
- Execute monthly and annual closing procedures and assist in the design of budget forms, and/or related variance analysis and reporting.
- Provide first review of journal entries prepared by junior staff.
- Responsible for preparing schedules to support the completion of the organization’s Form 990 and 990-T.
- Assist with the annual auditing process by preparing audit schedules, interacting and complying with auditor requests, assisting with the preparation of the financial statement drafts, including associated accruals or audit journal entry adjustments.
- Research and understand accounting, tax, and legal concepts and principles.
- Assist with the preparation of financial reports and presentations for various board level committees and interpret financial and budgetary reports for management.
- Assist in preparation of the organization’s annual budget and provides reports to facilitate leadership with organizational performance and budget variance evaluation.
- Assist members of management with monitoring the budgets within their respective departments.
- Assist with ensuring proper accounting and expenditure of funds in accordance with donor restrictions and Foundation expense policies.
- Ensure all records related to accounting activities are properly retained in accordance with the Foundation’s document retention policy.
- Provide leadership and guidance to junior team members and interns, including enhancing their professional and career development through effective training and mentoring.
- Understand the broad strategic, financial and operational objectives of the Foundation and provide advice and counsel to internal stakeholders that facilitates the accomplishment of those objectives.
- Assist with customer service support to Heritage staff, including but not limited to training on various accounting invoice, expense, and travel systems; responding to expense and invoice inquiries; and facilitating special arrangements or rush handling requests.
- Supports the Vice President, Finance & Accounting, and Director, Finance & Controller in various accounting projects as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field required. Master’s degree in accounting, finance or related field preferred. CPA also preferred.
Experience: 3-5 years of general accounting and/or non-profit tax experience, preferably in the not-for-profit industry.
Communication: Excellent writing, presentation, and public speaking skills. Ability to receive and provide constructive criticism aimed at achieving high- performance standards.
Technology: Microsoft Suite, Microsoft Dynamics DL, Microsoft Dynamics Management Reporter. Concur Invoice & Expense experience preferred.
- Understand and support Heritage’s mission and vision for America, and the department’s goals and objectives.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP, nonprofit accounting, and internal control principles.
- Proficiency in Excel is required with an ability to create and maintain complex spreadsheets.
- Strong attention to detail and willingness to support the Finance & Accounting team in delivering high quality reporting.
- Must be able to successfully build relationships and have keen interpersonal skills. This includes being an excellent listener, problem solver, approachable and customer service oriented.
- Ability to work independently while also working well in a team.
- Personal and professional integrity.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks including prioritization and organizing workflows to meet deadlines.