Communications Manager, Institute for Economic Freedom
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
Title: Communications Manager, Institute For Economic Freedom
Reports to: Director, Media
Job Summary: The Communications Manager is responsible for all aspects of public relations for the Institute for Economic Freedom and its policy experts including content strategy, media relations, message development, and issue project leadership. Coordinates with other communications managers to achieve public relations results for the institute.
- Serve as content chief for the Institute for Economic Freedom, organizing and executing communications campaigns on Heritage priorities.
- Responsible for Institute’s media strategy, daily generating pitches on relevant issues on multiple platforms including print, broadcast, digital, and editorial.
- Generate social media content for Digital Media, including videos, tweets and graphic ideas.
- Build and maintain relationships with media who cover Institute’s issues including print, television, radio, and digital.
- Monitor media for experts in Institute through various means and brief the Director on relevant threats.
- Maintain and share, in an easily accessed manner, media lists on relevant issues for institutional use.
- Help organize and execute eight-to-twelve media events to drive the news cycle, including at least four reporter breakfasts with news-making industry leaders.
- Draft news releases, web content, commentaries, and talking points
- Work closely with Vice President of Institute for Economic Freedom in leveraging the media to accomplish Institute policy goals.
- Share information with other strategic communications staff working on Institute for Economic Freedom issues.
- Create quarterly report on previous quarter’s media progress
Education: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
Experience: 3-5 years of related experience
Communication: Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including
demonstrated proficiency in writing and editing
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, True North conservative principles, and the department’s goals and objectives.
- Existing contacts among print reporters and broadcast producers.
- Knowledge of daily newspaper/newswire operations and needs.
- Must be aggressive, detail-oriented and highly creative.