Title: Senior Research Fellow for Defense Programs (naval warfare and advanced technologies)
Reports to: Director, Center for National Defense
Job Summary: The Senior Research Fellow for Defense Programs (Naval Warfare and Advanced Technologies) engages in advanced research, publication, education programs, and other work, in cooperation with Heritage divisions and other organizations as appropriate, on Defense Programs. The Senior Research Fellow is responsible for creating a high-profile and national reputation for The Heritage Foundation in the defense policy fields of naval warfare (to include undersea warfare) and advanced technologies.
- Be of the highest professional caliber
- Conduct advanced policy analysis and scholarly research that advances Heritage’s agenda related to maintaining a strong national defense
- Research and write high quality papers, reports and books by conducting unsupervised research
- A recognized expert in the defense community and able to operate with limited supervision
- Sought after for leadership in this field and to provide counsel to colleagues in the Center for National Defense, the Davis Institute, and leadership within Heritage on matters related to this area of inquiry, specifically, and national defense, in general
- Must be able to clearly demonstrate impact over time and perform at a level recognized to be unique, authoritative, and persuasive
- Work with other staff to enhance research and refine proposals into affirmative public policy positions
- Speak at major public functions and professional conferences
- Play an active role with the media and in the public policy community
- Represent Heritage in major professional forums and settings, including conferences, congressional hearings and public speaking
- Organize events and meetings
- Other areas of defense policy and programs may be added to portfolio as needed
Education: PhD or the acquisition of equivalent level of technical and research skills.
Experience: 15 or more years’ experience in the public policy field; strong body of public policy publications, including several scholarly or professional publications.
Communications: Accomplished writer and influential public speaker; able to communicate policy positions in multiple media
Achievement: Demonstrated influence on the outcome of public policy debates
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department's goals and objectives
- Recognized expert in the areas of naval warfare and advanced technologies
- Recognized as an authority with a demonstrated impact in policy field.
- Expert knowledge of policy area and of legislative and executive branch figures having influence on its development.
- Very high level of professionalism (adaptability, maturing, integrity and accountability).
- Strong leadership ability to work with other staff and lead junior staff.
- Very high initiative level requiring only general guidance.
- High innovation.
- Demonstrate entrepreneurial skills.