Title: Senior Designer
Reports to: Director, Marketing
Job Summary: Design, layout and produce creative concepts for complex and large-scale print and digital products including event collateral (invite packages, signage, stage design), books, editorial publications, advertising campaigns, video components and other visual collateral that advances organizational goals. Appropriately express and suggest evolution to visual identity of the Heritage family of brands across all media.
- Work within framework of visual identity guidelines of both Heritage and The Daily Signal to create brand-appropriate, visually-pleasing design solutions. Suggest changes that help evolve brands over time, in an audience-appropriate way.
- Design/execute visual concepts and layouts for complex and large-scale print and digital products—including event collateral (invite packages, signage, stage design), books, editorial publications, advertising campaigns, video components and other visual collateral—that promote Heritage’s policy research and/or support organizational goals.
- Contribute strategic and tactical ideas to improve Creative team processes and develop a team environment that fosters creativity.
- Lead discussions to focus and translate organizational needs and ensure most audience- and brand-appropriate approaches are explored for each creative project.
- Find or create appropriate art (photos, illustrations, other graphics) for design projects, heritage.org and dailysignal.com.
- Prep files for print vendors and/or for digital dissemination. Review technical aspects of publication designs, outline/confirm specifications for printing, sign off on vendor proofs and printing specifications.
- Maintain standards of quality, legibility, and aesthetics in all design materials.
- Performs other, related duties as required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in graphic design or visual communication.
Experience: 5+ years of experience in graphic design and print production,
In-house agency experience a plus.
Computers: Macintosh. Software Requirements: Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat. Knowledge of and interest in emerging technologies and trends.
- High level of proficiency in design, able to clearly articulate design rationale, brand appropriateness.
- Thoughtful giver and receiver of constructive critique; ability to objectively process feedback to effectively evolve conversations and designs.
- Highly organized and disciplined, can pace work to meet all agreed-upon deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to clearly present ideas in all stages of design process.
- Close attention to design aesthetics and details.
- Deep understanding of print production.
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department's goals and objectives.