Research Assistant, Center for Data Analysis
Title: Research Assistant
Reports to: Director, Center for Data Analysis
Job Summary: The Heritage Foundation formulates and promotes public policies based on free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense. In support of that mission, the Center for Data Analysis conducts research in many policy areas -- including fiscal policy, international trade, and energy and the environment -- with an emphasis on quantitative modeling and statistical analysis. The research assistant works within these disciplines to help senior CDA staff to meet department and organization goals through the production of data driven research reports, policy analysis, presentation preparation, and cross departmental collaboration. Promising research assistants will also have opportunities to engage in more independent, under the guidance of senior staff, research, writing and publication.
- Create and manage data sets that support the Center’s policy analysis.
- Write and edit code for statistical analysis along with senior staff.
- Perform literature searches and summaries.
- Write briefing materials and short publications.
- Prepare materials for Heritage websites.
- Assist with special projects, events and meetings.
Education: B.A. in economics, statistics, or mathematics.
Must have good training in economics and finance.
Experience: Entry level. Familiarity with policy research techniques.
Communication: Good writer. Must be able to work well as a member of a team.
Technology: CDA uses Matlab, Python, R, SAS, and C in its projects. Candidates should be familiar with at least one language and willing to learn others.
- Coursework in multivariable calculus, linear algebra, econometrics, probability, and mathematical statistics, or demonstrated capability.
- Must show initiative and ability to work independently.