Title: Associate Director, Coalition Relations
Reports to: Director, Coalition Relations
Job Summary: The associate director serves as: an advocate for Heritage’s policy agenda, primarily at external conferences and meetings; a scout to identify new coalition allies who will advance our policy goals; and a trusted liaison building relationships with our allies within and outside of Washington, DC.
- Coordinate THF presence at external conferences – including researching opportunities to promote our priority issues, maintaining calendar and reports on conference opportunities and impact, identifying speaking opportunities for Heritage experts, representing or coordinating representation of Heritage on site and following up with attendees as appropriate.
- Participate actively in working groups identified by Director. This includes developing and executing marketing strategies to reach our target audiences.
- Work with other Heritage departments involved in strategic policy education.
- Along with Coalition Relations department colleagues, build a network of strategic partners, allies and spokesmen who will help us educate and mobilize targeted audiences.
- Provide advice and input regarding marketing and communications materials created for our key audiences.
- Provide field research/intelligence to other Heritage departments to enhance their efforts.
- Explain principled conservative positions to diverse audiences.
- Represent Heritage and communicate effectively our core principles --free enterprise, limited government individual freedom, traditional American values and a strong national defense -- and policy positions at internal and external meetings, conferences, briefings and one-on-one meetings as identified in our strategic plan.
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Experience: 5+ years working with public policy organizations, government, or trade associations
Communication: Excellent writing, presentation and public speaking skills, mastery of English and ability to write and edit quickly and professionally
Computers: Advanced skill with MS Office software; skill with database management and social media
- Good understanding of and familiarity with the conservative movement and public policy process.
- Solid understanding of and ability to communicate Heritage’s core principles of free enterprise, limited government individual freedom, traditional American values and a strong national defense.
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department's goals and objectives.
- Facilitate support for the Heritage agenda through strategic outreach to conservative organizations.
- Anticipate potential flashpoints of important policy disagreements within the conservative movement and attempt to promote consensus and understanding as much as possible, in order to avoid coalition fractures and confusing signals to other conservatives.
- Coalition builder, team builder: enthusiasm for promoting others, respect for conservatives with different views than one’s own