Title: Communications Manager, National TV and Radio
Reports to: Director, Media
Job Summary: The Communications Manager, National TV and Radio, is responsible for achieving goals in earned television and radio media. The Communications Manager collaborates with Communications team members to promote Heritage reports, products and events to national broadcast media.
- Book interviews for Heritage experts, spokespersons, Daily Signal talent, and other assets on national TV and radio shows, overseeing the growth in Heritage’s voice on national broadcast programs.
- Systematically develop, maintain, and cultivate relationships with key influencers at traditional and emerging media platforms in DC and NYC.
- Assist with media pitches to promote Heritage reports, press events, and product launches in coordination with other Communications Managers.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of Heritage messaging and top issues to find opportunities in the news cycle for Heritage scholars to join in the national conversation.
- Track broadcast media industry trends, movements, and talent, and educate Heritage staff through formal quarterly seminars and informal internal communication channels.
- Source and share content for national TV and radio daily pitches as well as special announcements relating to breaking news, top issues, upcoming projects, and events.
- Coordinate logistics for interviews with Heritage experts, such as day, time, length, location, and topics. Provide assistance with in-studio interviews.
- Alert staff via Response Room distribution list and daily On Tap email to upcoming and completed media appearances to be used for promotion on social media platforms.
- Build and maintain relationships and current contact information with media, sharing intelligence and pitch lists with relevant members of the Media team.
- Build and maintain relationships with hosts and producers of Sunday shows to increase appearances.
- Generate media guest lists for Heritage events.
- Execute Daily Signal promotion goals, including outreach to conservative content aggregators, editors and strategic planning for events designed to raise awareness of The Daily Signal.
- Create quarterly report for Media Director of all national TV and radio appearances and major highlights.
- Assist in the upkeep of studio and update instruction guides to use the equipment in the studios for Media department.
- Coordinate media training schedules with District Media Group, including working with the Media Director and communications managers to source spokespersons and develop talent who require media training.
- Update media training records for the Media department.
- Coordinate with Media Associate daily clipping of national TV and radio spots.
- Train Media Associate to book syndicated radio, national podcast hosts, and other radio hosts not in the top 25, making sure to provide introductions with the appropriate contacts.
- Coordinate the Media interns daily assignments.
Education: BA/BS, preferably in journalism, communications, or political science
Experience: Minimum of 3-5 of relevant experience
Communication: Must have excellent writing, public speaking and broadcast interview skills
- Avid appreciation for the news cycle and voracious news consumption habits.
- Understand and appreciate the vital role of the independent media in American government and society and be comfortable in social and professional relationships with editors, producers and reporters for broadcast media.
- Intimately familiar with print, online and broadcast media needs, processes and priorities and how to meet those needs with Heritage resources.
- Creative thinker able to market existing Heritage media products to the media and to conceiving new products and marketing methods by using existing and acquired resources.
- Strong contacts in the broadcast media world.
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and the department's goals and objectives.
- Mentor, educate and offer training to other Communications staff.
- Work with peers to achieve results.
- Lead and listen.