Title: Service Desk Specialist
Reports to: Director, Information Technology
Job Summary: The Service Desk Specialist supports the day-to-day activities and operations of the Heritage Foundation Service Desk, whose mission is to ensure Heritage Foundation team members have proper and secure access to computing resources, IT networks, systems and files. Provides excellent customer service and technical support for an onsite and remote workforce utilizing 400+ workstations, mobile device, telecommunication systems, software applications and virtualized desktops.
- Supports all Heritage staff including fellows, interns, consultants, temps, and remote users with desktop, mobile, and network access. Also supports staff in the use of Heritage computing resources, including hardware devices, virtual machines and supported software applications.
- Serves as the initial contact for all support encounters with responsibilities for resolving issues with account access, network connectivity, and application usage. Escalates issues as appropriate while tracking incident status from initial point of contact to completion.
- Provides follow-up, training, and support as required to ensure complete resolution of incidents and service requests.
- Maintains performance standards in accordance with established to Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Applies good judgement and SLA policy guidance in prioritizing the resolution of support encounters.
- Identifies and reports exceptions to stated IT policy.
- Logs and keeps accurate records of all support encounters within the ticketing system.
- Creates and maintains up-to-date and accurate end-user documentation for applications, systems, and access to networks at the direction of the Service Desk Lead.
- Supports internal office moves and assists with tasks related to onboarding and off-boarding of team members.
- Learns the various functions of the IT department. Looks for opportunities to increase general and specific knowledge of hardware, software, systems and processes in order to better support the operations and effectiveness of the IT team.
- Engages with 3rd party vendors for support needs at the direction of the Service Desk Lead.
- Engages in technical project work to advance departmental goals and objectives
- Other duties as assigned to advance the objectives and goals of the IT team.
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience; technical certifications aligned with Service Desk responsibilities preferred
Experience: The Specialist position requires 2-4 years’ experience in Information Technology support roles with demonstrated experience and expertise with Microsoft Office and Windows operating systems running on a variety of devices. Basic systems administration experience in Active Directory or cloud-based solutions preferred. Experience supporting a mixed Windows and Apple environment is preferred. Hands on expertise with OS X and iOS devices and applications is a plus.
Environment: Microsoft Windows 7, 10; Apple OS X, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office 2010 and higher; Dell Desktops and Laptops, MacBook, VMWare VDI, HP Printers, Canon Multi-Function Copiers, Microsoft SCCM, WebEx, Skype for Business/Microsoft Teams
- Excellent customer service skills
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of responsibility and follow through
- Ability to troubleshoot problems and anticipate consequences of actions
- Ability to problem solve and creatively approach support scenarios
- On-call responsibilities as assigned including occasional after-hours needs
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Willing and eager to work with a variety of individuals
- Understands and supports the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department's goals and objectives