Title: Senior Development Writer
Reports to: Director, Donor Relations
Job Summary: Responsible for effectively communicating Heritage’s work and ideas to donor audiences (i.e. individuals, corporations, foundations) through the written word; and in a way that honors donors, builds relationships, and inspires progressively larger gifts to The Heritage Foundation and its sister organization Heritage Action for America.
- Produce significant original written content – in major gift proposals, reports, letters, and other correspondence – that communicates Heritage’s work in a clear, compelling manner.
- Interview policy experts and other Heritage staff to understand Heritage’s position on various issues, along with the details and key themes of Heritage projects.
- Work with regional managers to ensure that all donor communications are highly-personalized, timely, and accurate.
- Participate in writer’s trainings, exercises, and mentorship opportunities with other senior writers and editors in order to continually improve at the craft of writing.
- Work with Donor Stewardship Specialist to write text/copy for creative donor reports.
- Effectively communicate Heritage’s message in the “voice” of various Heritage trustees and executives while maintaining a tone that appeals to specific donors.
- Gather information and impacts from various projects and share with others in the department.
Education: B.A. in Journalism, English, or related degree. Graduate degree preferred.
Experience: Established writer with at least 10 years of experience; experience in fundraising and or journalism preferred.
Computers: Proficient in Word, Outlook, PowerPoint; knowledge of databases (Blackbaud CRM) preferred.
- Excellent grasp of English technicalities, including grammar and usage.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Ability to vary and control nuances of tone, diction, rhythm, pace and other stylistic features to make a piece of writing suit its purpose.
- Ability to proof and edit copy.
- Ability to clearly and persuasively relate the aims of Heritage programs to policy and philosophical concerns of donors.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the Development department's goals and objectives.